VOLUNTEER AND MOBILE STUDIO COORDINATOR
(20 HOURS PER WEEK, AUGUST 15, 2016 TO MAY 1, 2017 WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF RENEWAL)
CFRU 93.3 FM at the University of Guelph is hiring a Volunteer & Mobile Studio Coordinator (VMSC). CFRU is a volunteer-driven student and community radio station, committed to broadcasting high quality, innovative and entertaining music and spoken word programming, which serves as a distinct alternative to other available radio services.
Nature and Scope:
Working in a collaborative environment and reporting to the Station Manager, the VMSC is responsible for developing, maintaining, and overseeing a dynamic, opportunity rich, and engaging program involving CFRU’s roving Mobile Studio and its role in drawing new volunteers to our organization.
Under normal circumstances, the VMSC should spend at least 10 hours per week working at CFRU.
Duties of leadership include:
● Coordinates the short-term installation of our mobile studio in different, relevant locations throughout the community. These include but are not limited to neighbourhood groups, senior centres, schools, community centres, libraries, and more.
● Liaises with organizers at the aforementioned locations to determine whether our resources and initiatives would be appealing for members and others who utilize such spaces
● Collaborates with other staff to properly promote aspects of these mobile studio-related projects
● In collaboration with other staff members, develops and coordinates a volunteer program (including volunteer recruitment, retention, assessment and evaluation) for the station.
● Coordinates volunteer recognition and appreciation events
● Communicates and collaborates with other staff about volunteer opportunities within the station, oversees the creation of updated task lists, and works with other staff to co-ordinate volunteer placements.
Training and Mentoring
● Works with community members, and trains and orients them to make use of the mobile studio, and coordinates programming for at least a weekly on-air program devoted to the space and mobile studio initiative with the aim of inspiring community members to create their own programs or contribute to CFRU in other ways
● With the Operations Coordinator, monitors skills development needs of volunteers and coordinates skills development workshops.
● Directs, motivates, and monitors volunteers, and is attentive to volunteer concerns. Effectively communicates new volunteer opportunities around CFRU to volunteers, in conjunction with other staff members.
● Oversees volunteer training opportunities and ensures volunteer awareness of these opportunities.
● Schedules, oversees, and conducts General Orientation training sessions for volunteers
● May oversee or conduct other designated orientation sessions as necessary
● Coordinates training for volunteers to train other volunteers
Standard Duties and Responsibilities
● Contributes as a positive and innovative member of the CFRU team
● Nurtures an opportunity-rich volunteer culture that optimizes the volunteer experience at CFRU.
● Ensures that volunteers are mentored and given learning opportunities in areas of responsibility at CFRU.
● Keeps transparent, easily accessed, up-to date documentation in areas of responsibility.
● Work to propose and maintain policy documents around area of responsibility (as approved reviewed by the policy committee for approval by the Board).
● Contributes to team planning, committees, special events and projects as they arise.
CFRU Radio is an employment equity employer. All qualified candidates are welcome. Preferences will be given to and applications are encouraged from all equity-seeking individuals including people of color, Indigenous peoples, people living with disabilities, women, working class people, queer and/or trans people (an umbrella term recognizing many identities outside of the gender binary, including but not limited to: transgender, transsexual, Two-Spirited, genderqueer, gender-fluid, etc.)
All applicants are encouraged to fill out the survey questions below, and self-disclose through our Employment Equity Form on the following section. CFRU will provide additional training necessary for this position.
CFRU Volunteer/Programmer – Yes / No
If yes, length of time as Volunteer/Programmer: ____________
Please indicate if you have taken the following CFRU trainings:
Orientation - Yes / No
Programming & Policy – Yes / No
On-Air Programming – Yes / No
Other Radio/Media Experience:
Mentoring (or other) Experience:
CFRU Employment Equity Form
CFRU wishes to improve and further develop its employment equity practices, and we encourage all people applying for a job at CFRU to fill out our Employment Equity Form, which can be found below. Gathering information about applicants for CFRU positions can aid us in understanding under-representation and will be used to determine CFRU's effectiveness in promoting jobs and hiring. Completing this form is voluntary and all information gathered from completed forms will be kept strictly confidential.
What position(s) are you applying for?
Please indicate what gender you identify with:
Please check all that apply to you:
_ person of colour/racialized
_ living with a disability/disabilities
_ transgender and/or gender-variant
_ part of immigrant communities
_ English as a second language
_ have faced/are facing class barriers
_ other _______________________
Are there aspects of identity and lived experiences that you would specifically like to have space to discuss in our hiring process?
How did you hear about the job(s) you applied for with CFRU?
Date of Notice: Wednesday July 20, 2016
Application Deadline: Wednesday August 3, 2016 at noon ET
Wage is $20.50 per hour plus all the provisions under the Collective Agreement. This is a CUPE 1281 Bargaining Unit position. 20 hours per week.
To apply, please send your CV, cover letter, and, the aforementioned optional Survey and Equity form to email@example.com, with “2016 CFRU Volunteer & Mobile Studio Coordinator Position” in the subject line. A downloadable PDF version of this posting is available here .